INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL MARKETING
If you want to learn about getting started in the world of online advertising, you have come to the right place.
We take a look at what it is, why it is important, types of digital marketing, and how you can get a job in the industry.
Digital marketing has been in the world for quite some time. We tend to think that digital marketing encompasses banner advertising, search engine optimization(SEO,), pay per click, Email marketing, RSS, Voice broadcast, fax broadcast, blogging, podcasting, video streams, wireless text messaging and instant messaging.
Yet, it does not include traditional forms of marketing such as radio, TV, billboard and print.
In the modern world, we are surrounded by digital media. We use our smart phones, computers, tablets, TVs and games consoles to access the internet for all kinds of reason, this constant connectivity is a goldmine for marketers. It’s become an integral part of everyday life to conduct searches, check social media and purchase products online.
Definition of digital marketing
Digital marketing is the promotion of products or brands through one or more forms of electronic media. Digital marketing is often referred to as online marketing, internet marketing and web design.
Companies endorse goods, services, and brands. Consumers solely rely on digital means to research products. Times have changed and even the way businesses approach their customers has shifted. Traditional marketing has taken a step back and bring a new face in front of the industry.
Components Of Digital Marketing
–Pay–per–click: Pay-per-click (PPC) or paid search refers to the sponsored result on the top or side of a search engine results page (SERP). Advertisers pays the publisher each time one of their ads is clicked. These ads also involve retargeting, personal cross-platforms, they rely on data gathered from individuals’ online behaviour and are used to boost website traffic by delivering suitable ads to the right people at the right time. PPC advertising connects with searchers actively looking for products and services like yours and respond to the need by providing them with an offer relevant to their search query.
Essentially, PPC is a way of buying visits to your site. The better the ad, the greater the click-through rates and lower the costs.
–Search engine optimization (SEO): SEO is the process of optimizing the content, which requires businesses to focus on increasing their website ranking to increase the traffic. It’s simply the name given to the activity that attempts to improve search engine ranking. You can use SEO to massively increase visibility and begin a lasting customer relationship. The goal of SEO is often to make a page or website appear as high as possible in search engine results pages without having to pay for it.
Employing a sound SEO strategy will help you position your websites to be found while referring users to content that is most relevant to what the user is looking for.
The higher your websites ranks on Google SERP, the more chances it is to grow your brand.
–Social media marketing (SMM): Social media is a big business nowadays. Getting people to connect with you online in the social arena helps spread the world about what your company is and about your products and services. SMM gives companies the opportunity to expand their brand reach and user base.
An effective social media marketing campaign consists of many different elements such as:
Using digital media analytics which helps marketers to gain insights into how their customers act online, what they should respond to and what actions they should take.
As well as activities such as posting updates, images and videos. Brand can use SMM for paid marketing. The more your audience is inspired to engage with your content, the more likely they are to share it, potentially inspiring their peers to become customers as well.
When it comes to digital technology, email marketing remains one of the top skills to use. After more than two decades, email is still the quickest and most direct way to reach customers with critical information. Email marketing focuses on driving engagement by sending email to existing and potential customers.
It’s an efficient way to stay connected with your clients while also promoting your business. Email marketing can be carried out by:
- Email newsletters: They can help spread your brand awareness, leverage the existing content and give you freedom to include different types of content.
- Digest: Generally consists of links and lists. One popular option is the blog digest.
- Dedicated emails: Unlike new letters, dedicated emails don’t need to include many graphical elements to separate the different blocks of test and information. These contain information about just one offer.
- Lead nurturing: It connect series of emails containing useful content with a coherent purpose.
- Transactional emails: They are also the messages you receive from e-commerce sites like Amazon that confirms your orders and give you shipment information and other details.
- Sponsorship email: Helps to reach a totally new audience and generate net new leads.
–Mobile: an estimated 3.5 billion people around the world have a smartphone. These devices have change the way we think about marketing, introducing us to series of opportunities to reach potential customers. It can provide the customers with time and location, personalized information that promotes goods, services and ideas.
IMPORTANCE OF DIGITAL MARKETING
- It gives smaller companies an opportunity to compete with huge rivals, allowing them to use data and insights to target your ideal customers or audience.
- Digital marketing is a valuable asset to your business’s growth, for it helps to establish an authoritative online presence.
- Over 7.7 billion people uses the internet, with this, you can monitor your campaigns and optimize them for better results.
- It establishes your brand reputation by giving you a chance to show your customers what your business is made of and how you can help them with their needs.
- It improves conversion rates: If you have a website, then your customers are only a few click away from making a purchase. It can be seamless and immediate.
- Digital marketing benefits businesses of all sizes by giving access to the mass market at an affordable price.
It’s not surprising that the billions of marketing dollars spent on traditional channels is already starting to shift to digital marketing campaigns and this will continue to increase as the web matures. Digital marketing provides increase advantages for bank and businesses.